Seattle Relationship Therapy focuses on helping to support gifted and twice-exceptional children, adults and families. We provide parenting support services, individual counseling for adults, family counseling, group work and therapy for younger children. Our clients frequently exhibit several of the following common gifted and twice-exceptional traits: anxiety, sensitivities, intensities, perfectionism, poor emotional regulation, self-loathing, explosive energy, social challenges, difficulty with transitions and disorganization.
Our strengths include in-depth understanding of giftedness and twice-exceptionality. We create extreme safety for all participants through an atmosphere of non-judgmental compassion while providing a depth of insight that brings new perspective to your situation. Our approach is collaborative as our belief is that our job is to make it possible for you to find your own internal guidance and clarity in order to effect the change you want in your life.
Our therapeutic work draws from a variety of theoretical orientations, including:
- Emotion-Focused Therapy, which uncovers underlying causes for recurring emotional reactions in relationships in order to develop greater understanding and empathy which can result in real change.
- Lifespan Integration Therapy, which is a gentle, body-based therapy working on rewiring the neural networks through active imagination and the juxtaposition of ego states in time to heal from past traumas and/or neglect. LI allows people to begin responding in age-appropriate ways to current stressors and relationship patterns.
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy, which is a cognitive behavioral treatment that emphasizes individual psychotherapy and group skills training classes to help people learn and use new skills and strategies to develop a life that they experience as worth living. DBT skills include skills for mindfulness, emotion regulation, distress tolerance, and interpersonal effectiveness.
- Family of Origin Therapy, which examines patterns learned while growing up, and works on boundaries to better balance individual and relational needs.
- Internal Family Systems Therapy, which helps you find your center (access your inner wisdom) in ways that enable you to start actually moving towards positive goals in your life.
At Seattle Relationship Therapy, our work tends to go deep. Since most professionals have received no training in the social and emotional aspects of giftedness or being twice-exceptional, many families or individuals come to us when they can't understand why the skills and tools they have learned in classes or other therapeutic settings aren't working for them. Together, we find the underlying reasons, get to a deeper level of understanding, heal the wounds and move to a place where carefully handcrafted individualized parenting and therapeutic tools can begin to be effective.